As I sit watching Sport blow bubbles in his water bowl for no apparent reason, the thought hits me: Dogs will be dogs, and to expect more than that would be unfair.
Sometimes I catch myself expecting so much out of my dogs that I lose sight of their very doggyness. Leo is a baby. He just doesn't know better and I shouldn't expect him to. Sport has only been here for six months, he's not perfect nor will he ever be. We have a lot to overcome and change doesn't happen overnight.
All I want is for my guys to be happy and that is all I should be worried about. I don't want my dogs to only do what I tell them to; I want them to enjoy life and explore and be mischievous. I don't want robots, I want dogs. And my two are extremely doggy.
So I throw Leo and Sport some ice cubes and marvel in their doggy innocence. Who needs a reason to blow bubbles in the water bowl?
1 comment:
I had the same thoughts today while I was walking my pups through our swampy, icy, super-smelly woods. It was so fun to watch them having fun, even if they had totally turned off their listening ears!
Post a Comment