Saturday, April 2, 2011

A recap

I never imagined that I would move to Illinois. After I got rejected from CSU in 2009, I knew I had a year to DO something. CSU told me that they would like to see me have more large animal experience (as in horses, cows, pigs, sheep, ect.). The thing is, I worked almost full time at the shelter and getting in with large animal people is hard with zero experience. As my graduation neared, I felt more out of control and lost than I had ever felt. That is largely why I gave up on this blog. I felt as if I had nothing to contribute and considered dropping out of the vet med race entirely.

In August 2009, I still hadn't started my application. I was scared to put myself out there again to be rejected. My rejection from CSU was so painful after I had put so much of myself into getting to that place. I didn't want to get hurt again. I also hadn't gotten my large animal experience. One day, my old veterinarian called me up. Her tech was leaving, she knew I didn't get into vet school, and she was wondering if I was interested in a full time job.

I have always loved this vet clinic. Dr. Muench's clinic and clientele are what my dreams are based on. Our clients are our friends, our neighbors, our partners. The clinic is cozy and clean and inviting. Dr. Muench is a caring veterinarian that I trust immensely. I jumped at the opportunity to not only become a tech, finally, but to just learn more from my mentor.

I started in mid August and talked to Dr. Muench about reapplying to vet schools. I had it in my head to apply to schools other than CSU this time. I had a feeling that CSU wouldn't accept me this year if I hadn't gotten the experience they wanted, but maybe other schools would. After all, CSU is known for it's competitiveness.

To speed up this tale - I applied to the University of Illinois, the University of Missouri, Iowa State University, Pennsylvania State University, Washington State University and Western University (in California). I interviewed at Iowa State and Illinois. Iowa State... was tolerable to me. I didn't love it, but I could see myself living there for four years, at least. Illinios was like... home.

To say that I loved this school right off the bat would be an understatement. I felt so excited and alive when I was here. I have never felt that way about any other vet school, not even CSU. As it turned out, I got waitlisted at Iowa State and accepted here at Illinois. I immediately withdrew my name on the waitlist at Iowa State and sent my confirmation card here.

I finished up my year at Olde Towne, learning as much as I could from Dr. Muench. I polished my skills and prepared to move my entire life to Urbana, Illinois for the next four years.

Then it hit me. I didn't want to leave Colorado. I loved it there. My friends and family were there (excluding the Boyfriend). But... this was my opportunity to pick up and move. When else will I have a chance to move across the country based solely on what *I* want? So with that, I packed up my car (and another car), strapped Sport into a seatbelt and drove to my new home.

It helps that I have family in Chicago. And my old roommate, Amber, is going to Purdue's vet school which is only about 2 hours from me. We see each other as often as our schedules allow. I miss home, but the vet school still has me under her spell. There are still days that I sit back and go, "Woah! I am really here. I am really a vet student!" And it feels good.

Okay, it's really late (so I apologize for the lack of photos - maybe I'll change that later, and the bad writing style) and I had a really exciting day today (post on the coming up). I will write tomorrow about UIUC's vet school curriculum and why it is so freaking amazing.

Goodnight!

No comments: