Thursday, October 16, 2008

The good and bad news

Bad news:

My camera is broken. That means no pictures for a bit. I still have my camera phone but the quality is lousy, as you have probably noticed.

Unfortunately I had a bunch of cute pictures. I was going to write a post about a mystery yesterday! Someone (either Sport or Tiramisu) stole a bag of Zukes treats and ate them all. I want to point the finger at Tira since she has done something like this before and the rips in the bag look like they are from sharp little kitty teeth. However, Sport was mysteriously absent yesterday night and he is usually always by my side... Interestingly, neither one got sick so I guess we will never know.

I can't wait until Tira goes back to my parents. Sport has taken to chasing her and she is pretty stressed out. She is losing a lot of weight, even though she is eating. She is always on edge. I don't know why Sport chases her, but I think it has to do with Icky. Tira is pretty mean to Icky and Sport defends him a lot. Poor Icky has nasty kennel cough and isn't feeling so well.

The Good News:

I went to my first training class with Izzy, the lab mix from our shelter, yesterday night. It was a lot of fun. She is one of the smartest dogs I have ever had the pleasure to train with, so she picks stuff up really quickly. I was afraid that she was going to be bad since she can be a bit crazy sometimes. I took her out for a quick run before class and I really think that helped get some of the energy out. There are eight other dogs in the class. Some are very young and some are a bit older. Some were crazy and barking, some were growly...

Izzy was PERFECT! She barked twice in the whole hour. She only growled once when another dog tried to jump on her. She laid down when we weren't doing anything and focused like a champ. She made me feel like a better trainer than I actually am! My only issue was the marker word. I didn't bring my clicker so I tried using a marker word. Man, was that confusing. I use "Good!" with Sport when I am fading out the clicker, but with Izzy I used "Yes!" Unfortunately, I kept mixing it up and I could see that she was focusing on the treats more than me at some points. Next time I will bring my clicker though and all will be well.


Izzy. Isn't she gorgeous?!

1 comment:

Haley Poulos said...

Izzy IS gorgeous!

About the puddles vs rain thing, Char is exactly the same way. Same with dew. Dew is icky, but not if we're going for a hike. Go figure.

I hope your camera comes back to life soon!