Saturday, October 25, 2008

R.I.P. Little Icky

Today, we put my little foster dog to sleep. He was in kidney failure. I will miss him so much. Sport is still looking for him..

I'm glad that I got to hold him while it happened. I am glad I had a chance to know him. Even only knowing him for a couple weeks, I admit that I cried the entire car ride home (and am still crying now). He was a sweet dog, full of personality, even when he was so sick.

It makes me mad though that his story ended this way. He should have died in the arms of his owner, the one he loved. Though I love him, he deserved better. He had better than most though. How many dogs die terrified at the end of a rabies pole? Millions. How many die in a gas chamber scared out of their minds? It is unfair and cruel. I hope that more people would think about that when they surrender a dog to a shelter (an older dog at that). Not only will they be stressed but it is likely that they will die surrounded by strangers (however kind they might be). Would you want your dog to be terrified in their last minutes? Most don't care, I suppose.

Icky deserved better. I honestly believe that he would have lived longer if not for being submitted to the shelter system and all the stress involved. Even loved as he was, I know that he was stressed.

Sorry for the rant, sorry if it isn't coherent. I am too drained today.

1 comment:

Haley Poulos said...

RIP Icarus.

You're right- all dogs deserve death with dignity. After two weeks together, though, I'm sure Icky knew you loved him! My little pack and I will be sending you pawsitive thoughts today. You were Icky's hero, you know.